Monday, April 8, 2013

"Little Girl" Jiu-Jitsu


Being one of the smaller athletes in my gym, I find myself getting frustrated with my size and how it disadvantages me whenever I roll. No matter how hard I try to keep up with some of my teammates in my jiu jitsu school, I just get myself stuck in awkward situations where I end up uncomfortably pinned to the ground. This always happens because I give them the opportunity. I find myself trying to play the same game that I play with smaller people, which can be a bad idea. It really used to bother me when this would happen. I was never mad at my teammates for doing so, but the fact that I had allowed myself to get into that position really bugged me. I knew I had to create a new mindset for myself and mentally realize that my size wasn’t the issue. I have to work extra hard on my techniques because I can’t depend on my strength while rolling with people who can overpower me.
Through jiu jitsu, you learn how to use techniques and your body weight, no matter how much you weigh, to perform moves and grapple in a beautiful way. When you do a move, you use your body weight and technical details. It’s almost like using an “action-reaction” philosophy. You can make your opponent move one way, so that you can force them to move another way more easily. You have to learn how this philosophy works, especially if you’re smaller. You can’t just try to muscle your way in and out of things. You have to use your head. You have to think.
How am I going to be able to use what I do have against my opponent in order to win? I can use my agility to move around my opponent. Because I am smaller, I can move quickly without getting easily fatigued. Eventually, I can adapt to this way of thinking and learn how to efficiently pass. I can also use my smaller build to get underneath people and work my guard. Jiu jitsu was made in ways so that a smaller person could realistically beat somebody bigger than them. Technique is key in order to do so though. Strength is important, but having a good knowledge of the essential techniques is what excels jiu jitsu athletes into improving their game.
When you see yourself falling into a rut and becoming frustrated with your performance, take a step back and analyze your game. What am I doing wrong? What am I constantly confronting and how can I fix this problem? Instead of making excuses about why you are not doing well, look at yourself and change what you are doing. Think of it as a positive learning experience as to what you can do for yourself in order to succeed. If it's important to you, you will find a way. If it's not, you'll find an excuse. 
--Morgan Beverly


1 comment:

  1. Normally I would use BJJ to make a Spiritual point instead of the other way around but...
    Revelation 3:8 says, "I know what you've been doing. Look! I have put in front of you an open door that no one can shut. You have only a little strength, but you have obeyed my word and have not denied my name." Many people are hung up and discouraged that they are not strong powerful beings (Physically, Financially, Mentally and so forth) but that is not the point. The point made is that you do have some. What you do with what you posses matters.
    Keep up the good work :-)

    ReplyDelete