Friday, April 5, 2013

What Are You Passionate About?



When I say jiu jitsu has changed my life, I truly mean it. I used to watch people do jiu jitsu and think, this isn’t for me. How could I possibly enjoy a sport where I try to make my opponent tap from pain? It seemed silly to me to want to do that, but the day that I stepped onto the mat changed my way of thinking from then on. Sure, it was a little uncomfortable at first, having to be up close and personal with somebody that I didn't even know. I just met this person, and he was literally choking me until I couldn't breathe. It's definitely something you have to adapt to, but after I began to train more regularly and jiu jitsu classes actually became a daily routine, I could see a change in the way i looked at the sport. 
 The mats became more than just a place where I worked out and learned about jiu jitsu. It became a place where all of my problems were solved. I didn’t have to worry about anything that society or the world threw at me. I could just train, and focus all of my mind and heart into this crazy art where I literally roll around choking people for fun all day long. Imagine, every day, being able to experience the way that the human body moves, working muscles you didn’t even think you had. I have to physically and mentally overcome so many barriers. I have had to adapt my body to this sport, enhancing my flexibility, cardio, and strength in order to just roll with my partner. I also have to be mentally aware, and think about what my opponent is going to do even before they do it. My mind adapts to the techniques, and it become so natural. I see my partner doing something, and my mind automatically makes my body do something as a counter. It’s such a crazy learning experience, and it never gets old. There’s such a broad spectrum of things to explore. I just get so happy when I hit the mats, no matter how my day has been. My body races with endorphins and adrenaline every time. 
When I started, I would have never thought that something like this could become such a huge part of my life. It has become so important to me that I literally revolve my daily plans around my training schedule. Jiu jitsu has become a lifestyle for me. I never want to leave my jiu jitsu school. I just want to train endless hours out of each day of the week. Whenever I am not training, it’s all I think about. It became this mind-boggling obsession that overwhelmed my thoughts.  
 Nowadays, people are too afraid to follow what they love to do. That is why I am taking a risk to do the one thing in my life that I am passionate about. I know I will be judged, and most people will not understand. They will try to talk me out of my decisions because it's not what is expected by society, but I've never been one to just follow the crowd. I've always tried to be my own person, so here I am now, just on the road to achieving my dream. To be a champion, you have to believe in yourself when nobody else will. 
--Morgan Beverly

No comments:

Post a Comment